At face value, multi-sourcing seeks to achieve the same benefits as any (out)sourcing arrangement.
- Reduce costs
- Augment capabilities
- Improve service quality
- Cut time to market
- Focus internal resources on business priorities
- Accelerate growth
Multisourcing brings together sourcing best practices under one roof.
- A comprehensive strategy linking and integrating sourcing with long term business goals and objectives.
- A governance framework supporting sourcing strategy implementation.
- Developing client-supplier relationships, internal ("right sourcing") and external, and building a network of relationships.
- Developing metrics which align client and supplier goals to promote successful outcomes.
It also promotes a more disciplined and deeper involvement beyond the supplier lifecycle:
- understand client market dynamics, and how that affects sourcing no and in the future
- develop competency managing offshore relationships and associated risk, privacy, and security
- engender a sourcing culture which resists "tactical" outsourcing and promotes a structured approach:
- understand what you wish to achieve through outsourcing: cost or operational improvements? next-generation solutions?
- determine how best to achieve sourcing goals: internal, external, mixed?
- align goals and delivery models: custom? standard? domestic? international?
Hopefully we've prompted you to consider your technology sourcing practices from a more strategic perspective, one which also acknowledges the value of your supplier partners.